Friday, October 8, 2010

Don’t Worry…Worship!

Luke 10:38-42 (New Living Translation)
As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to what he taught. But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.”

But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.”

One morning as I was sitting in my quiet time, having finished reading the above Scripture…I imagined myself at the feet of Jesus. Suddenly, tears began to fall as my troubling thoughts spilled out…releasing my many concerns and feelings of fear and worry. Then I heard the Lord gently rebuke me as He did Martha saying, "Kathy, Kathy, you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed."

It wasn't meal preparations, but many anxious thoughts that distracted me from focusing on the Lord. I had several “suggestions” of how the Lord could respond as I proceeded to tell Him what to do through my tears. I might as well have asked, "Lord, don't You care?”

Then I remembered these words from the Bible:

"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. If you do this, you will experience God's peace. . . His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:6-7, NLT).

I confessed my anxieties to God and claimed His ability to do abundantly more than I could ever ask. My tears subsided as the burdens I had been carrying were lifted one by one into the much more capable care of my Savior… and God's peace filled my heart and mind. My quiet time ended in worshiping and listening to Jesus, my quieted spirit willingly surrendered to a sweeter part of prayer

Dear Jesus, Your peace is always found when I seek to worship You."

Kathy

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Kathy. I often need reminding of what is "urgent" and what is "important!"

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
My life in Christ came a bit late in life.I grew up in a Christian home and was baptized at age 9. I enjoyed a long career as a flight attendant (1973-2005). I met my husband Brad, in 1984 while living in Tampa Florida. At the time, we both were living a lifestyle that was not pleasing to the Lord. We married in 1986, but it wasn't until early 1992 that I knew the Lord was calling me to Him. God placed this same desire in my husband's heart. As Brad and I grew in faith, so did our desire to serve God in ministry. In late 2002 we moved to Virginia Beach where the Lord called Brad to serve as a Worship minister. In 6 short months, Brad was diagnosed with stage 4 non-Hodgkins lymphoma. I found my greatest moments of weakness came when I placed my thoughts on all the things that could go wrong and allowed fear to take hold. We were given 5 more years to share together. God is faithful and to His glory I serve Him through writing devotionals and inspirational article for this blog as well as a published writer with the writing team of A Widow's Might ministry. Our Devotional Books are titled: "For The Love of Her Life". I am also an Inspirational Speaker.