Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Today is the Day!

Then the angel spoke to the women. “Don’t be afraid!” he said. “I know you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He isn’t here! He is risen from the dead, just as he said would happen. Come, see where his body was lying. And now, go quickly and tell his disciples that he has risen from the dead... ~ Matthew 28:5-7b
I love Easter! Of all the special days in the year, celebrating Jesus’ Resurrection brings me the greatest joy and overflows my soul with boundless hope! It is also impossible for me not to be focused on the promise of His return as well. One day...Jesus will come back! 
Jesus’ first visit here on earth was greatly misunderstood by the people during that time as it remains still to this day. The Jewish people were looking for a king...not a servant. Like many today, the people during Jesus’ time must have had many debates and long discussions that included long streams of unanswered questions. Not so unlike today. Perhaps the most common question for all would be...”How could it be that God would wear the skin of mankind and allow himself to be treated with such distain... with such disregard?” 
The power He displayed in calming the sea and winds...healing the sick and even raising the dead, must have created great confusion amid their awe and as we read in God’s Word these miracles even angered many. The Jews and Gentiles who met and heard of Jesus must have asked many times over; “Who is this Jesus? Why does he speak with the authority of God, but look like an ordinary man? How can I be sure He is the One?” 
Feeling both drawn to Jesus and feeling perhaps afraid...it is easier to “do nothing” when given a choice to follow Jesus. 
He (Jesus) said to another person, “Come, follow me.”The man agreed, but he said, “Lord, first let me return home and bury my father.”But Jesus told him, “Let the spiritually dead bury their own dead! Your duty is to go and preach about the Kingdom of God.” ~ Luke 9:59-60 (NLT)
This kind of excuse sounds acceptable to our ears until we understand the real heart of the matter. A choice was given to this man to go with the Messiah! To go with Jesus would mean he would have to leave behind the familiar. He would have to leave behind some of the people he loved and give up some of the things that he thought brought him security. It would cause him to make a sacrifice...give up temporary contentment and acceptance for a life that would surely bring great challenges, trials and even rejection. Sounds like a pretty bad trade until you remember who it is you are going with! 
Is there really any doubt if you believe Jesus... that you can also trust Him? You can trust him not only with your father, but with every person you love. You can trust Him with your life! In fact... your life is what Jesus cares most about!
Which brings me back to Easter...did I mention I love Easter! Here is why...
By Easter morning the grief stricken disciples of Christ had spent three days in deep sorrow and morning over the brutal death of Jesus. (Perhaps like me, you also know what this kind of grief feels like..the unimaginable pain). This is what the followers of Jesus are experiencing... By now all hope is lost...all faith in what they believed to be true has been replaced with fear and unending questions full of doubts. It even appears to them that the religious leaders were right after all...as well as all the people who had rejected Jesus’ call to follow Him. Following Jesus had cost each man the rejection and ridicule from those family members and friends who did not believe Jesus was the Messiah. So in the midst of grief mingled with despair over what to do now... suddenly comes a rapid secession of knocks on the door...it’s Mary Magdalene and she is saying she and Mary has just seen Jesus. He’s alive!
“Why are you frightened?” he asked. “Why are your hearts filled with doubt? Look at my hands. Look at my feet. You can see that it’s really me. Touch me and make sure that I am not a ghost, because ghosts don’t have bodies, as you see that I do.” As he spoke, he showed them his hands and his feet.Still they stood there in disbelief, filled with joy and wonder. ~ Luke 24:38-41a (NLT)
Easter fills the Christian heart with joy and wonder... and hope. Amazingly...the story doesn’t end here...Jesus is coming back! 
Jesus came to earth the first time he said; “to serve and give his life as a ransom for many” (Matthew 20:28). When Jesus returns in glory, He will be honored, exalted, and bowed down to. “At the name of Jesus, every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord (Philippians 2:9-10).
Before Jesus’ return we still have time to make the choice of acknowledging His lordship and submitting to Him voluntarily. When Jesus returns, it will be too late to choose, too late to change your mind, too late to receive His gift of eternal life by belief that He died for your sins. Everyone who has not believed and bowed before Him will be forced to bow...even worse...will be then banned from His presence - forever. 
Have you chosen? To refuse to chose is to have chosen already. Dear friends... Choose now, before it is too late. 
For God says, “At just the right time, I heard you. On the day of salvation, I helped you.” Indeed, the “right time” is now. Today is the day of salvation. ~ 2 Corinthians 6:2 (Bold type added is mine)
Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My life in Christ came a bit late in life.I grew up in a Christian home and was baptized at age 9. I enjoyed a long career as a flight attendant (1973-2005). I met my husband Brad, in 1984 while living in Tampa Florida. At the time, we both were living a lifestyle that was not pleasing to the Lord. We married in 1986, but it wasn't until early 1992 that I knew the Lord was calling me to Him. God placed this same desire in my husband's heart. As Brad and I grew in faith, so did our desire to serve God in ministry. In late 2002 we moved to Virginia Beach where the Lord called Brad to serve as a Worship minister. In 6 short months, Brad was diagnosed with stage 4 non-Hodgkins lymphoma. I found my greatest moments of weakness came when I placed my thoughts on all the things that could go wrong and allowed fear to take hold. We were given 5 more years to share together. God is faithful and to His glory I serve Him through writing devotionals and inspirational article for this blog as well as a published writer with the writing team of A Widow's Might ministry. Our Devotional Books are titled: "For The Love of Her Life". I am also an Inspirational Speaker.