Thursday, August 16, 2012

When A Christian Dies


“For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.”Philippians 1:21

I love these words from Charles Spurgeon:       

Yes, brethren, “To die is gain.” Take away, take away that hearse, remove that shroud; come, put white plumes upon the horses’ heads, and let gilded trappings hang around them. There, take away that fife, that shrill sounding music of the death march. 

Lend me the trumpet and the drum. O hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah; why do we weep the saints to heaven; why need we lament? They are not dead, they are gone before. Stop, stop that mourning, refrain your tears, clap your hands, clap your hands.”

Celebration....not a death march...that is what we should prepare for when a Christian dies. I believe there should be inside each of us who also believe in Jesus...a sense of joy for the one who has left us. 

Joy? Ok... I agree that  joy sounds “out of place” in what most of us feel upon the death of a beloved family member or friend. In fact, just the opposite is what we spontaneously feel. Sorrow and grief are not an option we choose to respond to death with...we just uncontrollably feel it! 

Yet...I believe for the Christian believer, feeling joy for their loved one who has died does not have to  be considered an option either. 

Even in my time of greatest sorrow and grief over Brad's death...I held inside my heart and soul a piece of sweet rejoicing for Brad (and a tinge of jealousy too), that he was in the presence of Jesus and home with God.  How exciting for Brad that the Lord’s great love compelled Him to want Brad with Him...now! 

Spurgeon continues;
  What! Weep for heads that are crowned with garlands of heaven? Weep for hands that grasp the harps of gold? What, weep for eyes that see the Redeemer? What, weep for hearts that are washed from sin, and are throbbing with eternal bliss? What, weep for men that are in the Saviour’s bosom? 
Oh, weep not, but rejoice. “If you knew what it was that I have said unto you, and where I have gone, you would rejoice with a joy that no man should take from you.” “To die is gain.”
Although I still and always will miss Brad everyday...I would not want him to have one moment less in Heaven because of my wanting him here with me! 

I love Brad more than I love our life here together...And that my friends...is the kind of love that only God can place inside our hearts. 

I heard a voice out of Heaven, "Write this: Blessed are those who die in the Master from now on; how blessed to die that way!"
"Yes," says the Spirit, "and blessed rest from their hard, hard work. None of what they've done is wasted; God blesses them for it all in the end."    ~Revelation 14:13 The Message

I am looking forward to the day with anticipated joy of being reunited with Brad in Heaven...walking hand in hand blissfully forever...never to say good-by again...with Jesus as the center of our everlasting  joy!

Glory!

Kathy 
Suggested Further Reading: 1 Thessalonians 4:13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My life in Christ came a bit late in life.I grew up in a Christian home and was baptized at age 9. I enjoyed a long career as a flight attendant (1973-2005). I met my husband Brad, in 1984 while living in Tampa Florida. At the time, we both were living a lifestyle that was not pleasing to the Lord. We married in 1986, but it wasn't until early 1992 that I knew the Lord was calling me to Him. God placed this same desire in my husband's heart. As Brad and I grew in faith, so did our desire to serve God in ministry. In late 2002 we moved to Virginia Beach where the Lord called Brad to serve as a Worship minister. In 6 short months, Brad was diagnosed with stage 4 non-Hodgkins lymphoma. I found my greatest moments of weakness came when I placed my thoughts on all the things that could go wrong and allowed fear to take hold. We were given 5 more years to share together. God is faithful and to His glory I serve Him through writing devotionals and inspirational article for this blog as well as a published writer with the writing team of A Widow's Might ministry. Our Devotional Books are titled: "For The Love of Her Life". I am also an Inspirational Speaker.