Monday, December 3, 2012

The Secret to Blessed Contentment



“But she who trusts in the Lord, mercy shall surround her.” 
~ Psalm 32:10


Before lifting my head off my pillow this morning I looked over to where my husband Brad once laid beside me and said out loud...”I wish you were still here.” 
I also wished for another time...another place...another life. 

As I slowly got up to face a day I thought would be filled with the weight of these distressing desires, I made my coffee and sat down to read my morning devotions and Scriptures. I found a better answer to my wishes within the first moments of sitting beside Jesus as I read...

...she who trusts in the LORD, mercy shall surround her. 
~ Psalm 32:10

As my heart took in this promise...I felt the Lord’s mercy covering me. I prayed and thanked Him that I can place my trust so confidently in Him. Then I began to read the following story...

“In her infancy, Fanny Crosby became blind. As a young girl she was once asked by her mother if she resented her blindness, and she replied, "Mother, if I had a choice, I would still choose to remain blind...for when I die, the first face I will ever see will be the face of my blessed Savior."1 

Hers are powerfully convicting words to those who lack contentment in their predicaments. With more than 8,000 hymns to her credit, Fanny remained confident in her visually impaired state, "I don't believe I would have ever written all of those hymns had I been able to see."2
2 Gene Fedele, Heroes of the Faith (Alachua, FL: Bridge-Logos, 2003), 209.


I couldn’t help but consider my own “blindness” after reading Fanny Crosby’s words. 



I have a choice in how I see my life. For I am given by the Holy Spirit the power to see the joy in my trials...the godly purpose in my frustrations....the good in my pain...and the strength to live each day by trusting that where I am right now...is God’s place for me. May my life bring honor and glory to God alone.  



Glory! 

Kathy 



And don’t be wishing you were someplace else or with someone else. Where you are right now is God’s place for you. Live and obey and love and believe right there. God, not your marital status, defines your life. Don’t think I’m being harder on you than on the others. I give this same counsel in all...” ~ 1 Corinthians 7:17 The Message 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My life in Christ came a bit late in life.I grew up in a Christian home and was baptized at age 9. I enjoyed a long career as a flight attendant (1973-2005). I met my husband Brad, in 1984 while living in Tampa Florida. At the time, we both were living a lifestyle that was not pleasing to the Lord. We married in 1986, but it wasn't until early 1992 that I knew the Lord was calling me to Him. God placed this same desire in my husband's heart. As Brad and I grew in faith, so did our desire to serve God in ministry. In late 2002 we moved to Virginia Beach where the Lord called Brad to serve as a Worship minister. In 6 short months, Brad was diagnosed with stage 4 non-Hodgkins lymphoma. I found my greatest moments of weakness came when I placed my thoughts on all the things that could go wrong and allowed fear to take hold. We were given 5 more years to share together. God is faithful and to His glory I serve Him through writing devotionals and inspirational article for this blog as well as a published writer with the writing team of A Widow's Might ministry. Our Devotional Books are titled: "For The Love of Her Life". I am also an Inspirational Speaker.