Monday, June 25, 2012

Humility & Service

Whatever task comes your way to do, do it with all your strength...Ecclesiastes 9:10  Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)
Some lessons are best taught by example so I want to share the following story with you and also share the challenge from a great preacher on humility and serving others as Christ did.

~ George Washington, the commander-in-chief, was going around among his soldiers. They were hard at work, lifting a heavy piece of timber at some fortification. There stood the corporal of the regiment calling out to his men, “Heave there, heave ahoy!” and giving them all kinds of directions. As large as possible the good corporal was. So Washington, alighting from his horse, said to him, “What is the good of your calling out to those men, why don’t you help them yourself and do part of the work.”



The corporal drew himself up and said, “Perhaps you are not aware to whom you are speaking, sir; I am a corporal.”

“I beg your pardon,” said Washington; “you are a corporal are you; I am sorry I shouldn't have insulted you.” So he took off his own coat and waistcoat and set to work to help the men build the fortification. When he had done he said, “Mr Corporal, I am sorry I insulted you, but when you have any more fortifications to get up, and your men won’t help you, send for George Washington, the commander-in-chief, and I will come and help them.” The corporal slunk away perfectly ashamed of himself. ~

Charles Spurgeon writes:
“And so Christ Jesus might say to us, “Oh, you don’t like teaching the poor; it is beneath your dignity; then let your commander-in-chief do it; he can teach the poor, he can wash the feet of the saints, he can visit the sick and afflicted—He came down from heaven to do this, and He will set you the example.” 
Surely we should each be ashamed of ourselves in thinking like this; and declare from this time forward whatever it is, be it great or little, if it comes to our hand, and if God will but give us help and give us grace, we will do it with all our might.” 
As  a Christian and beloved child of God...may I reflect the example of our "Commander-in-Chief" Jesus Christ in serving others . We are given in each task in life the help of the Lord's excellence to humbly serve others. What a privilege it is to serve in the name of Jesus.
Glory!
Kathy   
“The apostles also began to argue about which one of them was the most important. But Jesus said to them, "The kings of the non-Jewish people rule over them, and those who have authority over others like to be called 'friends of the people.' But you must not be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the leader should be like the servant. Who is more important: the one sitting at the table or the one serving? You think the one at the table is more important, but I am like a servant among you. ~ Luke 22:24-27
For meditation: Our Master knew how to be humble (Philippians 2:6-9); Hs word tells us how He deals with people who are proud or humble (1 Peter 5:5-6).

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My life in Christ came a bit late in life.I grew up in a Christian home and was baptized at age 9. I enjoyed a long career as a flight attendant (1973-2005). I met my husband Brad, in 1984 while living in Tampa Florida. At the time, we both were living a lifestyle that was not pleasing to the Lord. We married in 1986, but it wasn't until early 1992 that I knew the Lord was calling me to Him. God placed this same desire in my husband's heart. As Brad and I grew in faith, so did our desire to serve God in ministry. In late 2002 we moved to Virginia Beach where the Lord called Brad to serve as a Worship minister. In 6 short months, Brad was diagnosed with stage 4 non-Hodgkins lymphoma. I found my greatest moments of weakness came when I placed my thoughts on all the things that could go wrong and allowed fear to take hold. We were given 5 more years to share together. God is faithful and to His glory I serve Him through writing devotionals and inspirational article for this blog as well as a published writer with the writing team of A Widow's Might ministry. Our Devotional Books are titled: "For The Love of Her Life". I am also an Inspirational Speaker.