Monday, June 11, 2012

Transformed Trash


“Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along. That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good.” ~ The Message Romans 8:26a,28b
“ God knew what he was doing from the very beginning. He decided from the outset to shape the lives of those who love him along the same lines as the life of his Son. The Son stands first in the line of humanity he restored. We see the original and intended shape of our lives there in him. After God made that decision of what his children should be like, he followed it up by calling people by name. After he called them by name, he set them on a solid basis with himself. And then, after getting them established, he stayed with them to the end, gloriously completing what he had begun.” Romans 8:29-30 The Message

Yesterday I went to a local park with friends from church.   The name of the park?  
Mt Trashmore!  Really? 
What an awful name for such a pretty park!


It’s name is derived by what it once was...the site of a huge trash dump. 
As I walked around the beautiful lake with a friend who lived near this park when it was still a “dumping site” I was told what an eye sore it was from the roadway nearby and of the “smell” it emitted into the surrounding neighborhoods. 
Since I never lived near this park prior to it’s transformation...I would not know first hand of it’s stench or unattractive appearance. Yet, once I learned of it’s past... I can tell you, I appreciate it’s beauty even more. 
The transformation from what this park was...dirty, smelly and utterly un-enjoyable... to what it is today...is stunning! This is a beautiful park with two tall green hills where paths and even stairs lead you up to overlook the tranquil lake below. Surrounding the lake is a paved path to walk or bike along as you watch the playful ducks swimming or waddling near it’s edge. The birds fly high seeking rest in the lush trees or perching themselves on piers.

 The grassy grounds lend themselves to scattered picnic tables inviting you to sit or gather with friends for a quick bite. There is a horseshoe pit...and I discovered the perfect place for a net to be placed to play volleyball or toss a frisbee or play corn hole. Near one side of the lake are covered shelters to find shade and on another side you will see a play area for families and friends as they watch their children play.


As I walked around the lake ...Thanking the Lord for sharing with me such beauty...He placed in my thoughts how He also has brought about a beauty in me from my past life. 


My life was once...well... quite frankly...it was filled with “trash”. I once lived for the kind of things and relationships that don’t hold lasting beauty or worth. 
As I bought and traded the trinkets this world offered me for a satisfying life...it created in me a ton of rubbish. As this junk in my life increased...it created a Mt Trash (and) more in me! 
At that time...those who lived closest to me...well...I’m pretty sure they could smell the stench and see the hills of garbage that grew in me. After all...I could only hide and bury so much garbage until it finally becomes so much that it pile up into a couple of hills for not only others to see...but ones I couldn’t ignore either.
Tired of accumulating “trash” and wanting a huge transformation in my life..I prayed asking for Jesus to come help me. And He answered my prayers. The Lord’s Hand of grace covered my mountain of trash and removed the stench that my life once held... Although I am still being daily transformed by Jesus’ love... I no longer am a heaping mess...but instead someone who Jesus has chosen to reflect the beauty of His redeeming love and to be a sweet fragrance of His mercy and grace.
Like a park named Mt. Trashmore...my life is being transformed from vile  to kind...from self-filled to one who cares about the needs of others.  The Lord has taken my many pieces of trash and He turned them into a compost that allows me to use them to nurture the hurting with the power of His wisdom and love. Everyday...God is at work in me still.


Like those high grassy hills at Mt Trashmore Park... Perhaps you too are in need for the Lord to covered your sins and transform your pile of trash into a treasure from which you can draw the riches of God’s grace and love from. 


You know...God sees your beauty. He desires for you to see and enjoy it too!  The love of God can work good from even our worst trash... And then one day...His work will be done. Glory...that will be the day we breath our first breathe of Heaven! 

Won’t you allow Him into your heart? Come see for yourself what only Jesus can do! 
Glory!
Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My life in Christ came a bit late in life.I grew up in a Christian home and was baptized at age 9. I enjoyed a long career as a flight attendant (1973-2005). I met my husband Brad, in 1984 while living in Tampa Florida. At the time, we both were living a lifestyle that was not pleasing to the Lord. We married in 1986, but it wasn't until early 1992 that I knew the Lord was calling me to Him. God placed this same desire in my husband's heart. As Brad and I grew in faith, so did our desire to serve God in ministry. In late 2002 we moved to Virginia Beach where the Lord called Brad to serve as a Worship minister. In 6 short months, Brad was diagnosed with stage 4 non-Hodgkins lymphoma. I found my greatest moments of weakness came when I placed my thoughts on all the things that could go wrong and allowed fear to take hold. We were given 5 more years to share together. God is faithful and to His glory I serve Him through writing devotionals and inspirational article for this blog as well as a published writer with the writing team of A Widow's Might ministry. Our Devotional Books are titled: "For The Love of Her Life". I am also an Inspirational Speaker.