Friday, December 7, 2012

Longing for a Merrier Christmas?




Christmastime can be such a mixed bag of emotions for me. Like so many others who have loved ones that are no longer with us...it can often be more a season of sadness than a journey of joy. 



As Christmas Day approaches...we are often surrounded by parties of exuberant people enjoying all the holiday festivities. Try as we might...we just can't quite muster up the same level of glee that just seems to come naturally for so many. 


Yikes! I can have so many sad moments this time of year that I just long for a couple of "merry" moments to come...to last...and bring me the joy I use to know at Christmastime. These longings just make me feel sadder! 

Thankfully...I have grown in my desire to keep this time of year more about Christ and not about all the holiday hoopla. 

Yet, I still get so tangled into those moments when I just want "what I had!" I too easily forget about all the blessings I do have...and all the blessings that have come from “not having” what I had.

But, like a guest who has overstays it's welcome...my sorrow enters the room and not only mingles with my happier thoughts..but stays around so long that all the happiness leaves and all I'm left with is sadness and my longing for a touch of heaven to come to earth. 



Ahhh...now there’s a longing God delights to fulfill! 

I’ve discovered the Lord doesn't allow me to remain emotionally secluded in my closet of sad nostalgia. He know exactly where my heart has hidden me and He enters my darkest thoughts. 
Lovingly, He carries me out and takes me with him to the most beautifully lit and spaciously night! He fills my heart with the awe and wonder of His greatest gift ...revealing that true joy is always found in Christ and hope was born in His birth. 

Amazing...

God so patiently loves, comforts and blesses each of His children without any condemnation...even when we have these moments where we make Christmas and this season about us...about our family and friends.

God knows our hearts so well. He sees our longing for loved ones who have left our sight and our side...safely with Him now...and He compassionately understands how much our longing pains our hearts. 



I think God understands so well because His heart knows this kind of longing too...for didn’t He feel it too when His Son came to earth over two thousand years ago? Isn't it possible that God longed for the day Jesus would return to Heaven and be sitting at his right side?  


"Suddenly, God’s angel stood among them and God’s glory blazed around them. They were terrified. The angel said, “Don’t be afraid. I’m here to announce a great and joyful event that is meant for everybody, worldwide: A Savior has just been born in David’s town, a Savior who is Messiah and Master." - Luke 2:10-11 The Message 

Just imagine the excitement and joy the shepherds felt upon seeing the face of God! 

Can you even imagine our own excitement and joy the day when we too will see God's face?

I honestly think God is right now longing for us to be with Him too. He completely understands the ache of a heart missing the feel of a loved one’s touch...the sound of their voice and the sight of their face. Doesn’t God longs for us in these ways too?

So this Christmas...just imagine how greatly loved you are by God. Imagine Jesus coming to earth to save you...redeem you... and one day take you home to live with Him...in Paradise! 

Then, imagine the moment when Jesus takes you to the Father and you see God face to face for the first time. Imagine...God’s face as His eyes take hold of you...Imagine... His face as it lights up with joy and excitement in seeing you!  

Oh My! This puts the Merry back in my Christmas! When I think about the delight in God’s eyes and His love shining across His face upon seeing me finally home forever...well...I’m sure that look in His eyes will knock me right off my feet!

Glory!

Kathy
"...I am going there to prepare a place for you. After I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me so that you may be where I am." John 14:2-3

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My life in Christ came a bit late in life.I grew up in a Christian home and was baptized at age 9. I enjoyed a long career as a flight attendant (1973-2005). I met my husband Brad, in 1984 while living in Tampa Florida. At the time, we both were living a lifestyle that was not pleasing to the Lord. We married in 1986, but it wasn't until early 1992 that I knew the Lord was calling me to Him. God placed this same desire in my husband's heart. As Brad and I grew in faith, so did our desire to serve God in ministry. In late 2002 we moved to Virginia Beach where the Lord called Brad to serve as a Worship minister. In 6 short months, Brad was diagnosed with stage 4 non-Hodgkins lymphoma. I found my greatest moments of weakness came when I placed my thoughts on all the things that could go wrong and allowed fear to take hold. We were given 5 more years to share together. God is faithful and to His glory I serve Him through writing devotionals and inspirational article for this blog as well as a published writer with the writing team of A Widow's Might ministry. Our Devotional Books are titled: "For The Love of Her Life". I am also an Inspirational Speaker.