Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Diluted Devotion

Psalm 119:71-75 (NIV)
It was good for me to be afflicted
   so that I might learn your decrees.
The law from your mouth is more precious to me
   than thousands of pieces of silver and gold.
Your hands made me and formed me;
   give me understanding to learn your commands.
May those who fear you rejoice when they see me,
   for I have put my hope in your word.
I know, LORD, that your laws are righteous,
   and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me.
I recently read in one of my bible studies this statement; “If Satan cannot destroy God’s people he often settles for the next best option; he will try to dilute their commitment to God.”
At first I thought ~ OK... maybe that was something Satan was able to accomplish in the past with me, but Hey.... I’ve traveled a long distance away from my former “worldly- self” with Jesus, and there is no way Satan is going to be able to ever entice me again with anything he can offer! Nope...not possible. So I decided to sit down at my computer this morning and write about this very subject! 
Yikes! The first thing I saw as I entered my office was that my new computer screen was “lit up” but there were no images on it! Well that’s not right... So I giggled this and pushed that and still....nothing. As I decided to unplug it (yeah I know...you’re not suppose to unplug a computer before turning it off...) I began to feel upset since this computer is new and this is not suppose to happen. My thoughts raced to disgust as I also began to wonder if I will be without my computer if it needs repaired....how long will that take?  That thought really upset me as I rushed back to my first thought which was “this isn’t suppose to happen to a new computer”! Suddenly my beautiful song of victory I was humming as I entered my office quickly changed tunes from “I am woman hear me roar ~ of God” into “I am woman hear me roar ~ of the world.”
Well...after the unplugging and re-plugging, my computer instantly came on. “Praise the Lord’ I said out loud, as I sat down in front of my computer.... ‘now I’m ready to write...”
My first thoughts went to Peter who told Jesus;But Peter said to Him, Even if they all fall away and are caused to stumble and distrust and desert You, yet I will not [do so]”! Mark 14:29 (Amplified Bible).

I think what I love the most about how God loves me is that He never gives up on me. Jesus knows exactly where my weaknesses are and in His protective care he will allow Satan and my sin nature to expose my worldly attitudes to my eyes and heart so that I can better see which path my feet are walking on. I can choose either the path of this world that may indeed lead to temporary pleasures but also great distress without hope...or choose the Path that leads to the Savior’s arms and eternal life with Him in heaven. Satan will attack my resolve to never stumble and tempt me with trusting “what seems right and good”...but God is faithful even when I am not. 
 "People who conceal their sins will not prosper, but if they confess and turn from them, they will receive mercy".~ Proverbs 28:13 (NLT)
Dear Lord, Thank you for your mercy and grace...your love. Thank you for the example of Peter so that I may be encouraged by his example. I have stumbled and my devotion to you get’s diluted with my devotion to me. I pray that like Peter, I too will surrender my ways to Yours. This life is not my own and this world is not my home. Praise God! Increase my faith so that I will live each day fully devoted to Jesus. ~ Amen
Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My life in Christ came a bit late in life.I grew up in a Christian home and was baptized at age 9. I enjoyed a long career as a flight attendant (1973-2005). I met my husband Brad, in 1984 while living in Tampa Florida. At the time, we both were living a lifestyle that was not pleasing to the Lord. We married in 1986, but it wasn't until early 1992 that I knew the Lord was calling me to Him. God placed this same desire in my husband's heart. As Brad and I grew in faith, so did our desire to serve God in ministry. In late 2002 we moved to Virginia Beach where the Lord called Brad to serve as a Worship minister. In 6 short months, Brad was diagnosed with stage 4 non-Hodgkins lymphoma. I found my greatest moments of weakness came when I placed my thoughts on all the things that could go wrong and allowed fear to take hold. We were given 5 more years to share together. God is faithful and to His glory I serve Him through writing devotionals and inspirational article for this blog as well as a published writer with the writing team of A Widow's Might ministry. Our Devotional Books are titled: "For The Love of Her Life". I am also an Inspirational Speaker.