Saturday, December 24, 2011

It Takes Two...

“If we are not faithful, he will still be faithful,
       because he must be true to who he is.”
Continue teaching these things, warning people in God's presence not to argue about words. It does not help anyone, and it ruins those who listen. Make every effort to give yourself to God as the kind of person he will approve. Be a worker who is not ashamed and who uses the true teaching in the right way. 2 Timothy 2:13-15
I love to dance... My husband Brad was a great ballroom dancer and teacher. He had the knowledge, skill and patience to not only teach me, but allow me to enjoy llearning. We often danced the romantic Waltz, the lively Cha-Cha and even the fun and energetic Swing! He knew just how to hold me “in position” so that I could not help but follow his lead. Sometimes he would speak instructional words into my ears as to what foot to move next...so that we could move together on the dance floor and have it appear as if I knew every step perfectly. Only Brad and I knew my desire to follow his lead help to made my part of the dance look flawless and easy. There was one dance we never tried to master...and that was the Tango. For some reason, I just couldn’t stop laughing at the intensity of this dance. It seemed tinged with “anger” to me...and I was anything but angry when dancing with Brad!

“It takes two to tango”...a traditional proverb is well partnered with the Spanish one that says; “It takes two to quarrel, but only one to end it.” 
I can’t help but see a bit of the “Tango” proverb going on right now in our country. The hostility towards Christianity seems higher than ever. Unfortunately, the reaction of many Christians towards this hostility and to the “stepping on our feet” especially now during this Christmas season has us acting like angry tango dancers. 


When Christians engage in “Tango-ing over “The Reason for the Season”  and other often serious  “affronts” to our expressions towards our faith with non-believers and those who are hostile to Christianly...we open the floor to waltzing people away from the Manger Child rather than helping them to swing towards Him. 

Hmmm... I can’t help but wonder, what Jesus would feel if He heard someone say “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas”. What would Jesus think of the person(s) who said it or even of the person(s)who mandates the Christmas season can not be about the birth of Jesus? What would Jesus say in response to these things? What would Jesus do?


Somehow... I think Jesus would have great patience with each one and express  compassion, mercy, love and grace towards them for he knows about their deeply hidden pains or lack of understanding of who He is. The Lord would know what words of encouragement to say and what actions to take. Only the Lord knows if  one day they may be receptive to walking across the floor and even take hold of His hand with the desire to dance... trusting Him. Through the power of the Holy Spirit in us...we too can respond as Jesus would.



You know...for me one of the great thing about having danced so often with Brad is I eventually was able to anticipate his next move and even imitate his steps. I  often delighted Brad with what I had learned. I loved it when I delighted him...it made dancing with him all the more special. 
Even more so, I love the thought that I can delight the Lord. How beautiful the feet that follow Jesus...

So...I still don’t want to tango! When someone tries to get me to dance to it, I just let them try that dance alone. I want to respond instead by imitating the steps I learned that has me delighting the Lord. After all...it takes two...
Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My life in Christ came a bit late in life.I grew up in a Christian home and was baptized at age 9. I enjoyed a long career as a flight attendant (1973-2005). I met my husband Brad, in 1984 while living in Tampa Florida. At the time, we both were living a lifestyle that was not pleasing to the Lord. We married in 1986, but it wasn't until early 1992 that I knew the Lord was calling me to Him. God placed this same desire in my husband's heart. As Brad and I grew in faith, so did our desire to serve God in ministry. In late 2002 we moved to Virginia Beach where the Lord called Brad to serve as a Worship minister. In 6 short months, Brad was diagnosed with stage 4 non-Hodgkins lymphoma. I found my greatest moments of weakness came when I placed my thoughts on all the things that could go wrong and allowed fear to take hold. We were given 5 more years to share together. God is faithful and to His glory I serve Him through writing devotionals and inspirational article for this blog as well as a published writer with the writing team of A Widow's Might ministry. Our Devotional Books are titled: "For The Love of Her Life". I am also an Inspirational Speaker.