Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Pause Button

Be silent before the LORD and wait expectantly for Him  ~ Psalms 37:7a
I have often been too “quick” in responding to just about everything in my life. One of the hardest things I have had to do is find my “pause button” and then... not misplace it! Although I have learned much through trusting in the Lord’s strength on how to “wait”, I still struggle with this from time to time.
Just, this morning as I read my bible...I  was “quick” to jump from my pondering over some Scripture verses and how the Lord would have me understand them, when I began to spontaneously think about how they need to be known as well by a few other people I could think of...
Instead of sitting still with my Teacher and allowing the Holy Spirit to help me absorb and fully accept in my own heart and soul His teachings...Instead of asking questions that would lead me to a greater understanding and knowledge for what God’s plans are for me...Instead of listening how He would have me be a reflection of His Word...Instead of being still and know that He is Lord...I jumped up from my quiet time with my own thoughts of how I could “use this” instead of how I could “be this”. 

As I sat in front of my computer screen to write all that I had just learned, I found myself looking at the blank page realizing I had already “forgotten” what I wanted to write. 
Yikes! Writer’s block...I quickly summed. Or perhaps I’m getting forgetful in my older age. Hmmm, I’ll stick with writer’s block I decided.
As I went back to those Bible verses that had earlier sparked my intent interest and given me such wonderful insight to share with others, I remained “void” of any inspired words to share. 
Frustrated...I sat and tried to remember what it was I had wanted to say. It seemed so important and insightful! So, I decided, to look up some other Scriptures on the same subject and perhaps from these Scriptures I’d recall what it was I had learned.
Still nothing...“Why can’t I remember?" I said out loud as I continued my quick search of the Scriptures. “What was it that I had just learned?"
As I began to slow down and take in God’s Word, I came across several Scriptures that may not have been “what I was looking for” but spoke perfectly to my greater need. 
“Therefore, come out from among them and be separate, says the Lord”                      ~2 Corinthians 6:17a 

As I sat quietly meditating on 2 Corinthians 6:17a...I began to realize something interesting about my “forgetfulness” this morning. How could I possibly “remember” something I have not even heard? I had been in such a hurry to do something with an exciting introduction, that I had missed out on receiving a full and rich teaching that God had in store for me to hear.
As I sit here a few hours later having found my “pause button” once again ...I realize something else. I have been feeling very pressed to be doing “something more” ...to be saying “yes” to the many request from others.
But I heard God say to my yearning heart...”Come out from among all others and come sit awhile alone with me. Stay and listen to my instruction. I will teach you and our time together will be a constructive period of time, not wasted. You may have many “good” things you want to do but...there is no virtue in activity in and of itself. Never labor to serve, or force an opportunity my child. Be at peace as you sit at my feet...it is there you will learn my ways and be made ready and able to serve and not become anxious or tired. My plans for your life are not for you to always say “yes” to the plans of others but to always have a willing heart that says “yes” to mine.” 
The Lord answered, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things. 42 One thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the better part. It won’t be taken away from her.”  ~ Luke 10 41-42  

Hit the “pause button” on your life and sit awhile in the garden with Jesus. May you too find peace and great wisdom at the feet of the One who knows you best. 
Kathy 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My life in Christ came a bit late in life.I grew up in a Christian home and was baptized at age 9. I enjoyed a long career as a flight attendant (1973-2005). I met my husband Brad, in 1984 while living in Tampa Florida. At the time, we both were living a lifestyle that was not pleasing to the Lord. We married in 1986, but it wasn't until early 1992 that I knew the Lord was calling me to Him. God placed this same desire in my husband's heart. As Brad and I grew in faith, so did our desire to serve God in ministry. In late 2002 we moved to Virginia Beach where the Lord called Brad to serve as a Worship minister. In 6 short months, Brad was diagnosed with stage 4 non-Hodgkins lymphoma. I found my greatest moments of weakness came when I placed my thoughts on all the things that could go wrong and allowed fear to take hold. We were given 5 more years to share together. God is faithful and to His glory I serve Him through writing devotionals and inspirational article for this blog as well as a published writer with the writing team of A Widow's Might ministry. Our Devotional Books are titled: "For The Love of Her Life". I am also an Inspirational Speaker.