Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Cancer...Powerful, But Not All-Powerful

 "Cancer is a powerful enemy. But it’s not all-powerful. For all who are in the heat of this battle, it helps to remember that there are some things cancer cannot do: Cancer is so limited…
It cannot cripple love.
It cannot shatter hope.
It cannot corrode faith.
It cannot destroy peace.
It cannot kill friendship.
It cannot suppress memories.
It cannot silence courage.
It cannot invade the soul.
It cannot steal eternal life.
It cannot conquer the spirit.
It cannot lessen the power of the resurrection." -Unknown Author

I often would read this when Brad and I were checking in for Brad's chemo treatments or blood test. It was displayed on the receptionist desk as we checked in.

Cancer can and does cause great fear, doubt, heartache and pain in our lives. It holds nothing back in it's attack to destroy everything we hold dear in our lives. Sometimes it just feels unbearable...especially when we are in the midst of the battle and it appears the cancer is winning.

I rarely use the word hate...but, I do hate cancer. What's in it to love? Yet, as only God can do...Brad & I experienced the good God had for us that cancer never intended for us to experience. The most treasured experiences I received are the times my trust in God possessed my very soul...knowing with certainty that God would always take care of me in all the circumstances of my life.  

"Do not fear, for I am with you;
Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you, surely I will help you,
Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand."-Isaiah 41:10  

From the time Brad was first diagnosed with advanced stage 4 cancer and we were told he may have only 6 months to live (we were given 5 years), I prayed and pleaded for God to assure me He would not take my husband from my side. I searched the Scriptures looking for a promise...or two...that I could cling this plea upon.  

I found no such promise...but He did give me and my husband...this promise from Isaiah...that He would give us His strength and help to go through whatever laid ahead of us. I had His assurance He would always be with me and with Brad no matter what.  

I hate cancer...yet, I'm thankful for the trials it brought which have positively changed me. It's not the method of learning dependance on God I would have chosen yet because of cancer I have seen God's faithfulness in ways that I would not have known without the suffering and the learning to depend totally on Him. It's hard to know God is all you need until He's all you've got.  

So yes...I hate cancer. But, to cancer...I have this to say...

"I just want you to know this one important thing about what you did to my life...you meant to destroy me and my faith & love for God's goodness. You may have even thought you won a few of my struggles. But, here is the result of your attack upon my life and your ultimate harm in taking my beloved husband's life from my side;  

Instead of fear, and doubt and distrusting God...I now have a stronger trust and faith in God. This is result of what you left inside of me...a firm conviction that God does overcome evil with His goodness." 

"Don’t you see, you planned evil against me but God used those same plans for my good..." - Genesis 50:20 MSG

For those who may be fighting cancer now or to those who have a loved one who is. I pray that when you have those moments of your greatest weakest...you will remember not only of the things cancer can not do, which are listed here...but trust that you have a very present and powerful Lord who loves you and willing provides you with His strength and love to endure and even overcome cancer's destructive forces. May the Lord reveal to you His Presence so that you too will become witness to seeing how mighty God is and how we need not fear cancer when our trust is in the Lord who care for us. 



"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." - Philippians 4:12-13 

Glory! 

Kathy 


2 comments:

  1. Thanks Kathy, I needed this today. Love reading your inspirations, as they bring much peace into my life and inspire me. Love ya lots! Mary Gavin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise God Mary. I just now saw your response and I'm so glad that you found something the Lord blessed me to share has brough you a measure of peace. I'm always mindful of Christopher...and of you...God bless you.

      Delete

About Me

My photo
My life in Christ came a bit late in life.I grew up in a Christian home and was baptized at age 9. I enjoyed a long career as a flight attendant (1973-2005). I met my husband Brad, in 1984 while living in Tampa Florida. At the time, we both were living a lifestyle that was not pleasing to the Lord. We married in 1986, but it wasn't until early 1992 that I knew the Lord was calling me to Him. God placed this same desire in my husband's heart. As Brad and I grew in faith, so did our desire to serve God in ministry. In late 2002 we moved to Virginia Beach where the Lord called Brad to serve as a Worship minister. In 6 short months, Brad was diagnosed with stage 4 non-Hodgkins lymphoma. I found my greatest moments of weakness came when I placed my thoughts on all the things that could go wrong and allowed fear to take hold. We were given 5 more years to share together. God is faithful and to His glory I serve Him through writing devotionals and inspirational article for this blog as well as a published writer with the writing team of A Widow's Might ministry. Our Devotional Books are titled: "For The Love of Her Life". I am also an Inspirational Speaker.