Friday, January 11, 2013

Whose Your True Hero?


"In the year of King Uzziah’s death, I saw the Lord..." Isaiah 6:1
I love studying God's Word through an in-depth study and the new challenges it delivers! I yearn to be found living my faith fully in the power of Christ each moment of my life.

In my lesson today..."Breaking Free" by Beth Moore, I was asked "Have you lost a hero? Why were they a hero to you?" I immediately reflected on the two heroes in my life...my dad and my husband. Here is what I wrote as to why they were a hero to me.

~ My dad - He had integrity. He was trustworthy. He stood up for what was morally right and defended the weak and needy encouraging them that they could succeed and overcome their circumstances.  He loved me unconditionally and he loved the people I loved. He was faithful and He lead me to know God.

~ My husband Brad - He had integrity. He was truthful. He stood up for what was morally right and defended the weak and needy encouraging them that they could succeed and overcome their circumstances. He share Jesus unafraid of how he would be received and cared only that Jesus would be received inside their souls. He was faithful. He loved me unconditionally and cared for me completely. He battled cancer more for me and for the love we shared than He did for saving himself. He knew and trusted fully in God's love for him and did not fear death but faced it with confidence that his last breath here would give way to his first breath of Heaven and the face of Jesus. 

As I sat content with my response to who my heroes were and my heart feeling a twinge of sadness too as I consider the challenges I've faced in their passing...the lesson quickly took me to what God would desire for me to understand more fully about who my real Hero is...Jesus.

Oswald Chambers wrote; "Our soul's history with God is frequently the history of the 'passing of the hero.' Over and over again God has to remove our friends in order to bring Himself in their place, and that is where we faint and fail and get discouraged. Take it personally: In the year that one who stood to me for all that God was, died - I gave up everything? I became ill? I got disheartened? Or...I saw the Lord? 

"In the year of King Uzziah’s death, I saw the Lord..." Isaiah 6:1

When my hero dad died...Brad took the top spot for being my hero...I looked to Brad...not God. Oh I still worshiped God... and I loved Jesus...but...Brad was my "hero." He comforted my broken heart and secured my need for security inside his love for me. I thought he was all I'd ever need ...the one I could always count on...the one who held my heart. 

I loved Jesus...but I held Brad up as the one who would never leave me or fail me. 

After my hero Brad died...I saw the Lord as never before. I imagined Him high and above me...I was in awe of Jesus' all encompassing presence and I knew right then I wasn't "alone" and never will be again as I had feared. I felt secure in His love and encouraged by His faithfulness. I finally felt safe. I found myself in the arms of my true Hero. 
I can hardly wait until the day I see Jesus face to face....He will always be my first, second, and above all others...My Hero!

Glory!

Kathy 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My life in Christ came a bit late in life.I grew up in a Christian home and was baptized at age 9. I enjoyed a long career as a flight attendant (1973-2005). I met my husband Brad, in 1984 while living in Tampa Florida. At the time, we both were living a lifestyle that was not pleasing to the Lord. We married in 1986, but it wasn't until early 1992 that I knew the Lord was calling me to Him. God placed this same desire in my husband's heart. As Brad and I grew in faith, so did our desire to serve God in ministry. In late 2002 we moved to Virginia Beach where the Lord called Brad to serve as a Worship minister. In 6 short months, Brad was diagnosed with stage 4 non-Hodgkins lymphoma. I found my greatest moments of weakness came when I placed my thoughts on all the things that could go wrong and allowed fear to take hold. We were given 5 more years to share together. God is faithful and to His glory I serve Him through writing devotionals and inspirational article for this blog as well as a published writer with the writing team of A Widow's Might ministry. Our Devotional Books are titled: "For The Love of Her Life". I am also an Inspirational Speaker.